Monday, September 21, 2009

Why Am I Creating a Blog?

I just watched a video suggesting that there are over 70 million blogs on the web. And there are roughly 120,000 being created on a daily basis. What could I possibly contribute to this massive world called the blogosphere? Probably not much on any kind of a grand scale. Nevertheless, here's my list of reasons for starting this blog:

  1. My wife really wants me to. And I'm sure that she is representative of countless others who are just drooling to hear my regular insights into the matters of life.
  2. Some things just don't make it into the sermon. As a pastor, there are many thoughts and ideas that occur to me through social interactions, reading, family life, and sermon preparation that I am never able to articulate in a sermon. I would love to share many of these thoughts with my congregation, and a blog gives me the opportunity to do so.
  3. Ideas are better formed when they are written out. On many occasions, I have formed some rough ideas on a given subject (theological, political, church polity, family, sports, etc.) only to have the ideas vaporize because I never took the time to develop them.
  4. To take a position on some important issues. Some issues are really important but easy to ignore. Keeping up with a blog will give me the chance to develop my thoughts of some of these issues, which I might otherwise ignore because I feel I'm too busy.
  5. To answer questions. Sometimes people ask me questions which require more than just a short answer, or which I am simply not prepared to answer immediately. Blogging affords the opportunity to address such questions in a more satisfactory way. And chances are, if one guy is willing to ask the question, many others would probably benefit from a responsible answer.
  6. Abraham Piper told me to.
I hope to update this blog on at least a weekly basis. See you next week!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Kyle, I am excited about this! And I love Abraham Piper!

Ashley Claunch said...

Thank you for finally starting a blog! I'm excited about reading about what's going on in that little head of yours about issues we sometimes don't have time to discuss over coffee after a long day. Gee, I don't know why life gets so busy...our 3 boys, school, church...I love you so much!

Cara Meyer said...

Welcome!! Will love "catching" up with you through your blog. Tell Ashley HI....we miss you guys!! :(

Angela said...

"Sometimes people ask me questions which require more than just a short answer, or which I am simply not prepared to answer immediately."

Hmmmm..... I would never do that!!

Angela